Just follow these 11 easy steps to find out how to "make it" as a farmer.
1. Start with a shipment of heritage chicks.
2. Build them a luxurious house with a large outside enclosure.
3. Purchase an incubator.
4. Wait until the chickens are old enough to produce fertile eggs (six months), then collect eggs over a period of seven days.
5. Watch, wait and pray for three weeks.
6. Entertain your kids for hours observing chicks hatching out of eggs.
7. Start to panic after 24 hours and open the box to remove chicks (it smelled really bad in there). Discover several hours later that you killed the remaining six chicks in their eggs by altering the humidity too much during the move.
8. Enjoy the chicks for an evening, then drive them to a farm in the morning. Comfort your weeping children.
9. Introduce the chicks to hundreds of Cornish Cross chickens (who will grow large very quickly, but will never be able to fly or walk correctly).
10. Check out their future home. Our heritage Delaware chickens will lead a happy pasture-raised life on this farm.
11. Collect your check for 22 dollars. Pray that people at farmer's market will be interested in paying more money for heritage chicken meat so you can start the process all over again in a few months.
We may see our first profits in 2014! At that time we will start looking into buying our second home in Italy.