Friday, June 12, 2009

Another Good Day

I've been working on a video for Oliver to celebrate his first three years. Going through the pictures makes me nostalgic about each stage we have passed. How I would love to hold my baby in my arms or talk to that adorable one year old again. Looking at pictures also helps me remember to live in the moment.

Today is one of those days I will look back on in a few years. I'll think fondly about my adventurous toddler who loved being with me on a nature hike above almost anything. During our hike today in the backyard, I tried to soak up every moment of our time together, as I know these beautiful days won't last forever.

Oliver and I packed up our cameras, put Pumpkin on a leash, and dressed in long pants and snake boots. He took me up the highest "mountain" he could find. Once we reached the top, Oliver stopped to take a picture of the view.


We also found some lichen. Oliver shows us in this picture how a true artist works. He climbed into this precarious position to capture the lichen patch at the correct angle.


Oliver showed me how real hikers descend from mountain tops (on their bums apparently).
And the greatest find of the day? It was a full baby snake skin, hanging out of a hole. Oliver suggested it might be a baby dragon skin, which is why he looks slightly nervous holding it.

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting. I learned two new words today: lichen and thallus.

    I think it is wonderful how you are cultivating your son's interest in nature. Your dog, Pumpking, is so handsome. Is he a brindle Mastiff?

    ReplyDelete