Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Goodbye Hen


I'm sorry to report the passing of our sweet chicken, Llewelyn. Oliver and I found her dead in the garden, partially buried by Ethel who didn't want to leave her side. "Don't cry Mommy, I still love her," Oliver offered as we collected flowers in the garden for Llewelyn. Pop came over to help dig a proper hole for her.


Oliver delivered a short eulogy. "Llewelyn died so hard. Then we put her in a hole. Thank you for the eggs." Oliver is a big fan of the song "Old Blue."

I'm sad that I wasn't able to save her, but feel some solace in knowing that Llewelyn's last days were so special. I am grateful for pets like her who add meaning, happiness and sometimes sorrow to our lives.

10 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about the passing of Llewelyn. I'm sure she will be missed but also remembered.

    Rest in Peace!

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am sorry about her passing on. I must say that your little boy is a strong one for taking it as well as he has.

    Albert

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to hear about Llewlyn, but I'm glad she and Oliver bonded during her final days creating a good memory for him.

    I'm so glad to read that you are raising your boy to be compassionate and respectful towards all animals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi!
    I just found your blog via Hot belly mama.
    I love the post before this one about Oliver and Llewlyn, you took some great photos and really told a good story - it would make a nice childrens book actually. So sad to hear she has since passed away. Oliver did well at the 'funeral' though, i love what he said.

    Aqeela xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice photos...sorry about the chicken; what kind of camera do you have?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! That's very sad although I believe it's important that kids learn about living a good life but also that death occurs in nature and that it's part of it. [I know plenty of kids who aren't a fraction as lucky]. As others say, your photos are great.

    BTW, we still talk about our hens which were killed - 2 years later - and I'm in my early 40's!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We still mourn the passing of every member of our original flock. Chickens are amazing creatures and I am sad for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anglea, Albert, Doris, Aqeela, Paula, Cliff, and Julia, thank you for your kind words!

    Paula, I have a Olympus Camedia C-3020 zoom. It was given to me by an old friend who wanted a new camera. I LOVE my camera!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never thought in a million years that I would ever be sad to see a Hen pass away. But being that I have my own two girls now, I really know that they do more than bring eggs to the table. They have such Personality. Sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete